We all want to make more money. In fact we all need to make more money. The cost of living has gone way up in the last few years and as hairdressers, we tend to not always be at the higher end of the earnings average.
But we are in a unique position in that we can give ourselves a raise whenever we choose to.
Here’s how you can give yourself a raise today:
Step 1. Fill your chair.
Step 2. If your chair is already full, raise your prices.
The first one is the harder one to do, but it becomes really easy if you do a couple of things. Well, eight things. And all of them can be done today and will make a huge impact immediately and start you on the road to higher earnings and to 2.
1. Get up early and peruse Instagram and celebrity and fashion blogs, get (and stay) heavily caffeinated and do your hair and makeup beautifully. And then dress. All black is easiest and cheapest.
2. Show up at work a little early and evaluate your day.
3. Phone every client booked over the next week to fill any opening you may have today.
4. Think about each client you have booked and how excited you are that they have chosen to spend their time and money with you. Tell yourself and make it your mission that you are going to give them the best hair and salon experience they have ever had.
5. Do not look at your past formulas. In fact, never do this, unless it’s Mrs Wilson who comes in for her 3 week 8/03 and 20 vol grey coverage. And you should have her memorized anyway. Stop looking at past formulas.
6. Look at each client with a fresh perspective as you go to greet them. No baggage or pre-conceived ideas of who you think they are.
Tell them as you approach that you saw they were coming in and have been thinking about what to do with their hair. If she looks amazing walking in, tell her and, “You look really beautiful right now, I’m inspired by your hair and would like to build on what you currently have if that’s OK!”
If she needs work, “Ooh, you need some fixin’. Let’s get you changed into a gown and make your colour a little cooler/ deeper/ richer/ shinier/. The lightness isn’t bad but the tone is not working for you.” Obviously tailor it to her situation.
7. Tell her that what you are going to do is going to make her hair look amazing and you are excited about it.
Do you get the point? Act like an expert and be dialed in to her hair today.
Step 7 will dictate the rest of the visit, because you now will work harder to elevate your performance and her experience because you have committed to an amazing result. Just watch how every thing you do becomes better than normal.
8. Tell her briefly about the products you are using in her hair as you are using them and why they work. And you better be using the same line in your own hair.
But Michael! How does this give me a raise today?
I promise you your client will be receptive to whatever service is needed to take her there. She will buy at least one of the products you used on her and will leave you a larger gratuity. Then she will go out feeling amazing and people who leave the salon after a great experience with a present, empathetic and inspired stylist rave to their friends about it and you. This gives you the raise into the future and will get that chair full.
Every day, every client. Perform at your highest level. Have fun, talk nonsense, but be an expert in your client’s hair.
So your chair is already full and you are afraid to raise your prices. Read all of the above and do everything listed. And raise your prices, just a little. Maybe $5. You will see your performance become much better as you improve your level of service to exceed the price increase. I wholeheartedly believe in regular 6 month price increases if you are fully booked. If nobody can get in and you can’t do more hair in a day, a small increase every 6 months keeps you on your toes and consistently earning more money.
You don’t deserve to raise your prices until your chair is full. If not enough people see value in sitting with you at $40, they certainly won’t at $50. Elevate your performance and fill that chair with bodies that leave the salon feeling like you love working with them and you are inspired by them. Because you are.
Put your best hairdresser face forward each day, fill your chair, and start earning the money you want. Right now, you are earning exactly what you deserve so put yourself in a position where you deserve to earn more.